Do you wish to benefit from the bouquet of flowers that you’ve got obtained for longer or do you wish to maintain the flowers from your individual backyard so long as potential? Then you may dry them, an inside development that’s again in trend!
Drying flowers preserves their colours and smells for longer. Dried flowers are good to make use of in garlands, in flower preparations, in bouquets, however additionally they look pretty on their very own in a stylish vase. The petals, small twigs and leaves might be processed right into a potpourri to fill your lounge with a pleasant scent. Do you know that dried flowers are bought worldwide? In Sweden these flowers are known as födelsedagsblommor or beställ blommor.
However how precisely do you strategy this? We’re completely satisfied that will help you.
Which flowers might be dried?
First, select flowers which might be nonetheless trying their greatest, nonetheless have a deep shade and present no indicators of decay. As well as, it is usually vital to know that not all flowers are appropriate for drying. Sure varieties comprise an excessive amount of water, similar to tulips, hyacinths and daffodils, making them harder to dry. White flowers additionally produce a much less enticing end result as a result of the flowers rapidly flip brown. Roses, poppies, thistles, hydrangeas, decorative grasses and lavender are nice.
Air drying flowers
That is most likely the best approach and in addition probably the most environmentally pleasant. You want a number of instruments for it, only a heat, dry and darkish room to protect the colour of the flowers in addition to potential. An attic is good for this.
- Take away extra leaves and tie the flowers collectively in small bunches with an elastic band. It’s best to do that per species and in equal bundles. The elastic retains the branches collectively and ensures that they don’t fall off through the drying course of.
- Hold them the wrong way up in a well-ventilated space. Don’t cling the completely different bundles too shut to one another in order that adequate air can attain the flowers.
- The quicker they’ll dry, the higher the end result and the much less probably they’re to get moldy. The flowers are dry after they really feel a bit crisp and brittle. Relying on the area the place they cling and the kind of flowers, it will take between 1 to eight weeks.
- Are you uncertain whether or not the flowers have already dried sufficiently? Then put two stems in a vase for a few days as a check. If the stems stay upright they’re good, in the event that they bend they should dry for some time longer.
Drying flowers with silica gel
Drying flowers with silica gelThis is a fast technique that produces good outcomes. Silica gel is a product you can purchase within the interest retailer. You can even reuse it. It’s best for flowers with delicate leaves similar to daisies and violets.
- Fill a flat container that may be sealed hermetic with a layer of silica gel about 5 cm thick.
- Stick the flowers you want to dry within the gel. Ensure that the completely different flowers don’t contact one another.
- Then very rigorously scoop extra crystals between and across the flowers to simply cowl them.
- With a skewer you may open the leaves just a little bit in order that the crystals are nicely in between.
- Seal the container hermetic and tape the sting in order that no air can penetrate.
- After a number of days you may take away all the things and test if the flowers have dried sufficiently. If they’re left within the product for too lengthy, they may turn out to be brittle and darkish in shade. Gently shake off the crystals and use a brush to wipe off the product.